Dr. Barbara Howe, founder of the Public History program at WVU and its director from 1980-2000, will receive an award from the American Association for State and Local History at the annual conference in Birmingham, AL, on September 20th, on behalf of a team of collaborators who created an interpretive project for the West Virginia Botanical Gardens (WVBG). Dr. Howe and Michael Caplinger, an alumnus of the WVU Public History program, conducted research on the history of Morgantown’s early water supply to interpret the physical remains of the now-drained reservoir that suppled water to Morgantown from 1912-1969. It is now the site of the West Virginia Botanical Gardens, located at 1061 Tyrone Road. WVBG Director of Education Erin Smaldone and Dr. David Smaldone, Associate Professor of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism at WVU, developed the eight interpretive signs using Howe’s and Caplinger’s research. The project received funding through a grant from the West Virginia Humanities Council.